The upcoming regional New Years in various parts of the country mark the onset of new beginnings and an auspicious time for new endeavors. With that, comes the much-awaited cause for celebrations, family gatherings and lots and lots of food.
Here are 4 traditional recipes that you can easily recreate at home during this festival time
- 2 cups of cooked chana dal
- 1 cup of grated jaggery
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp green cardamom powder
- ¼ tsp nutmeg powder
- ½ tsp fennel seeds powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Salt as needed
- For the dough, take a large mixing bowl and add the whole-wheat flour, turmeric, one-tablespoon ghee, salt and water as required. Knead all the ingredients into a soft dough.
- To make puran, take a large pan and heat some ghee in it. Add the nutmeg powder, fennel seeds powder and green cardamom powder. Once heated, add the grated jaggery and cooked chana dal and mix it all well. Cook it on a low flame and keep stirring it until the mixture is dry and thick. Allow it to cool down, after which mash the puran mixture using a potato masher.
- For final preparation, pinch out small dough balls and roll them out flat like a chapatti. Place a spoonful of the puran mixture in the center of the rolled dough and bring all the edges of the dough together.
- Sprinkle some loose flour on it and start rolling this mixture-stuffed-dough into a flat circular puran poli.
- After this, heat a tawa and spread a little ghee on it. Place the puran poli on it and allow it to cook for a minute.
- Once one side turns slightly brown, turn it over and cook the other side. Cook both sides equally and ghee on it once it is ready.
- Prepare all the puran polis in the same way and serve it hot with some plain yogurt or milk.
Nolen Gur Ice Cream
- 1 cup of nolen gur/jaggery
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- ½ can of condensed milk
- 4 tbsp of warm milk
- 3-4 sprigs of mint leaves
- Take the nolen gur in a small vessel and add warm milk to it. Heat this mixture until the gur dissolves to a smooth consistency. Set it aside.
- Beat the heavy cream separately to a fine smoothness and add the condensed milk to it. Mix these two well.
- To this, add the melted jaggery and stir it continuously until it forms slightly brownish thick syrup. Make sure the consistency is smooth and not lumpy.
- Transfer this mixture to an airtight container and freeze it for 8-10 hours.
- Once frozen, garnish it with mint sprigs and serve it chilled.
- 1 cup of chopped ash gourd
- ½ cup of chopped pumpkin
- ½ cup of sliced carrots
- ½ cup of chopped raw banana
- ½ cup of beaten plain yogurt
- 1 cup of grated coconut
- 1 sliced green chill
- 1 tsp of red chilli powder and turmeric powder
- ½ tsp of cumin seeds
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Salt as needed
- Take a grinder and add coconut, green chilli, red chilli powder, cumin seeds and 3-4 tablespoons of water. Grind this mixture to a smooth paste.
- Heat a large pan on medium flame and add one cup of water. Once the water is hot, add the vegetables, turmeric powder and salt as needed. Allow the vegetable to cook for 6-7 minutes.
- To this, add the coconut paste and mix it well. Cover the pan with a lid and allow this to cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Once the vegetables completely absorb the coconut paste, add the yogurt and give it a good stir .
- Garnish it with coconut oil and curry leaves, and serve it hot.
- 4 cups of milk
- ½ cup of poha (thick aval)
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ tsp of green cardamom powder
- ½ tsp of cinnamon powder
- 5-6 roasted cashewnuts
- Wash and drain the poha and set it aside.
- Heat the milk in a heavy bottomed vessel and add the washed poha to it.
- Simmer this mixture on low flame till the poha cooks completely and the mixture thickens.
- Now add the sugar, green cardamom powder and cinnamon powder. Allow it to cook till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Garnish the payasam with roasted cashewnuts and serve it either hot or cold.
These traditional recipes taste best when enjoyed with your loved ones. You can now order all the specific ingredients for these appetizing dishes using Easyday Club’s new age grocery shopping with same day grocery delivery service. You can now simply order
all the necessary requirements such as sugar, milk, jaggery, rice, and vegetables at lowest prices and also get them delivered at home round-the-clock.