Who doesn’t like a good pickle? It is the best way to spice up any dish with its mixed, zesty flavors. It is difficult to imagine an Indian kitchen without pickles and chutneys, but wouldn’t it be great if we could find just one recipe that went with everything? That’s the beauty of the tangy tomato pickle. It is the perfect accompaniment for any dish – Idli, dosa, upma, naan and even curd rice. It’s mouthwatering tangy flavor serves as a great side dish to any recipe.
Here’s what you need to prepare Tomato Pickle at home –
- 5-6 large tomatoes (cubed)
- ¾ cup of tamarind extract (soak it in lukewarm water)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 tbsp mustard seeds
- 6-8 green chilies
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 3-4 curry leaves
- Salt as required
- 1 tsp jaggery
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Pinch of hing
- Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a deep pan and saute the tomatoes for 5-6 minutes until they turn soft and pulpy.
- Grind the soaked tamarind and green chilies together and add this paste to the tomatoes. Allow it to simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- In a separate pan, dry roast the fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds they slightly change color. Transfer it to a pestle and grind them to a fine powder.
- Now add this powder to the tomatoes and mix it well. To this, add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt, jaggery. Mix all the ingredients well.
- In a small pan, heat one tablespoon of oil and add cumin seeds, garlic, hing, curry leaves. Once it starts spluttering, turn the flame off and pour this mixture onto the tomatoes.
- Allow the oil to settle in and the rest of the ingredients to bind together.
Let it cool down and the transfer it to an airtight glass jar.
- Jaggery and garlic are completely optional ingredients, and can be added or adjusted according to your taste.
- Alternatively, you can also use green tomatoes to prepare this tomato pickle recipe.
- The best part about this pickle is that you can easily store it for over a month and serve it with possibly everything, even just plain steamed rice!
This summer, spice up your favorite dishes with this simple yet tasty tomato achar recipe. Find the best variety of spices, tomatoes and other ingredients required to prepare this pickle at Easyday Club, your favorite convenience doorstep grocerystore. Become a member today and get guaranteed low prices, whatsapp shoppingconvenience, instant home delivery and a minimum 10% discount every time you shop.