Karva Chauth is all about celebrating the beautiful bond between a husband and a wife, with the wife fasting all day and breaking the fast in the evening. Needless to say, food holds a lot of importance to this festival. So, this year, try these three traditional Karva Chauth recipes that can be easily recreated in your kitchen –
- 2 cups of maida
- 3 tbsp ghee (warm)
- 2 tsp ajwain
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp kasuri methi
- 1 tsp jeera
- Pinch of baking soda
- Salt as required
- Combine maida, ghee, baking soda, ajwain, jeera, kasuri methi, black pepper and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl
- Add a little bit of water to this mixture and start kneading it into a smooth dough. Don’t add too much water, the dough should appear hard and coarse. Cover it and let it sit for half an hour.
- Now divide the dough into bite-sized portions.
- Take each portion and flatten it roughly to a round shape using a rolling pin. Repeat this step to prepare all mathris.
- Place the mathris in a preheated oven for 8-10 minutes and bake them on both sides until they turn brown and crisp.
- Serve it hot or room temperature, your choice!
Kesar Vermicelli Kheer :
- 1 cup of roasted vermicelli
- 4 cups of milk
- 7-8 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp green cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp chopped cashews
- 1 tbsp chopped pistachios
- 7-8 saffron strands
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Combine the milk and vermicelli in a pan and bring to a boil. To this, add sugar and allow it to slowly simmer until the sugar completely dissolves.
- Next, add the saffron strands and mix it well.
- Now add the green cardamom powder, cashews, and pistachios and let it simmer for another two minutes.
- Turn the flame off and allow the kheer to sit for a minute.
- Serve it hot or cold.
Paneer Pulao :
- 1 ½ cups of rice
- 8-10 cubes of paneer
- ¼ cup of crumbled paneer
- ½ cup of green peas
- ½ cup of thinly sliced onions
- ½ cup of finely chopped tomato
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 cloves
- 5-6 black peppercorns
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 green chilli
- ½ tsp red chilli powder & garam masala
- ½ cup of finely chopped coriander leaves
- Salt as required
- Soak the rice on 3 cups of water, a little bit of oil, a pinch of salt and one bay leaf for 2 hours. Set it aside.
- Heat some ghee in a pan and saute the cubed paneer until it turns golden brown. Set it aside.
- In the same pan, add cinnamon stick, cumin seeds, cloves and black peppercorns and saute it for a minute. To this, add onions and saute it till it turns translucent.
- Now add the tomatoes and peas to it and saute it till it turns soft.
- To this, add red chilli powder, garam masala and salt. Mix it well.
- Next, add crumbled paneer and mix. Add cooked rice, cubed paneer pieces and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves serve it hot.
Prepare these Karva Chauth special recipes to make your festivities even more special and your food even more memorable. Order the best quality of fasting ingredients and other grocery essentials using Easyday Club’s WhatsApp shopping service. Get everything you need to be delivered to your doorstep instantly and hassle-free.