Apart from keeping an eye out for the parade at Shivaji Park, traditional Lavani performances and folk songs, for many, Maharashtra Dayis simply about kicking back and relaxing at home with their favorite Maharashtrian food. The best way to commemorate this day is by enjoying a hearty meal with your family and kids, especially when everyone is celebrating a common holiday together at home.
Take a look at these few Maharashtrian recipes that can be easily recreated at home and are loved by all –
- Goda masala powder –
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp cumin & sesame seeds
- 1 black cardamom & star anise
- ¼ tsp black pepper & poppy seeds
- ½ inch cinnamon stick
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 tbsp dry coconut
- 1 cup of basmati rice
- 1 cup of chopped assorted vegetables
- ½ cup of chopped onion & tomato
- 1 tbsp cumin & mustard seeds
- 2 slit green chilies
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp dry coconut
- 1 tbsp ghee
- ½ tsp turmeric & red chili powder
- 2 cups of water
- Add all the masala powder ingredients in a mixer grinder and pulse it into a smooth powder-like consistency.
- Heat the ghee in a pan and add onions, cumin, mustard seeds, green chillis, ginger garlic paste and saute it for a minute. To this, add tomatoes, cashews and your choice of chopped vegetables. Toss it well and allow it to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add the grinded goda masala powder and cook this mixture for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Now add the rice, water and salt. Cover this with a lid and simmer it for 15-17 minutes.
- Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves and grated dry coconut.
Don’t forget to: Add some pomegranate seeds to it to make it interesting for kids. Masala Bhaat is one of the most loved Maharashtrian dishes and tastes best when served with raita and tomato chutney.
- 1 cup besan
- 1 cup of finely chopped onions
- 1 cup of chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic & green chillis
- 1 tsp cumin & mustard seeds
- Pinch of hing
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 2 dry red chillis
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt as required
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a non-stick pan and add half teaspoon of cumin and mustard seeds. Once it starts crackling, add hing, ginger, garlic, green chillis and onions. Mix it well and cook till onions turn translucent and soft.
- Now add turmeric powder, besan and salt and mix it well. Allow this mixture to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- To this, add two cups of water, cover the pan with and simmer it for 3-4 minutes on low flame.
- After this, add the chopped coriander leaves, mix it well and turn off the flame.
- In a separate small pan, prepare tempering. Heat one tablespoon of oil and add curry leaves, half-teaspoon cumin and mustard seeds, dry red chillis and a pinch of hing. Once it starts crackling, turn off the flame and pour the tempering to the zunka.
- Serve it piping hot.
Don’t forget to: Serve it right off the stove. Zunka tastes best when served with rice bhakri and buttermilk.
Til Gud Ladoo
- 1 ½ cups of sesame seeds/til
- 1 cup of chopped jaggery/gud
- ½ cup of crushed peanuts (roasted)
- ½ tsp of green cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Heat a deep and broad non-stick pan and dry roast the sesame seeds on low flame until it turns slightly brown. Transfer it to another bowl.
- Now heat the ghee in the pan and add gud to it. Allow it to melt on low flame for 3-4 minutes.
- To this, add the roasted sesame seeds, crushed peanuts and green cardamom powder. Stir it well and cook for another minute.
- Transfer the sesame seeds mixture to a greased plate and allow it to cool down slightly.
- Now wet your palms and take a small quantity of the mixture and shape it into the size of ladoos you prefer.
- Store the ladoos in an airtight container to make them last longer.
Don’t forget to: Make it more interesting by adding some orange zest or rose petals to the last step before shaping the ladoos. Til Gud Ladoos are a common traditional favorite for kids and adults alike. Find authentic and flavorful ingredients used in most Maharashtrian recipes, such as sesame seeds, chilies, peanuts, sabudana and more at Easyday Club. Simply place an order on WhatsApp and get your supplies delivered to your doorstep for free. Easyday Club is your favorite discountoffering grocery store where you get guaranteed lowest prices for everyday supplies and top brands at best prices with round-the-clock grocery delivery service.