How badly do you wait for the winter season only to get a whiff of your favourite gajar ka halwa? We know, we’ve all been there. Truth is, there is so much more you can achieve with carrots and we’re about to tell you how. We love the versatility of this superfood and has slowly, but surely become a healthy seasonal favourite.
Here are three amazing carrot recipes that will make you love carrots even more –
Creamy Carrot Beetroot Soup
- 1 cup of peeled and diced beetroot
- 1 cup of diced carrots
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes
- ½ cup of diced onions
- 1 sliced red pepper
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup of fresh cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Water as needed
- In a preheated pressure cooker, add the beetroot, tomato, carrots, onion, red pepper, garlic, and salt, as needed.
- Add 4 cups of water to it and close the pressure cooker lid and allow it to cook for 4-5 whistles.
- Allow the pressure cooker to depressurize on its own.
- Now blend the cooked vegetables to a smooth and thick puree. Strain it using a thick metal sieve.
- Now heat the butter in a pan and add a pinch of black pepper to it. Add the puree to this and bring it to a boil.
- Drizzle some fresh cream on it and serve.
- You can also sprinkle some dried oregano and sesame seeds to enrich the soup’s flavour.
Low-cal Gajar ka Halwa
- ½ kg of grated carrot
- 2 cups of low-fat milk
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Jaggery (as per taste)
- 1 tsp green cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp chopped pistachios
- Heat ghee in a pan and add grated carrots to it, Mix it well and allow it to cook for 7-8 minutes till the carrots look slightly cooked and turn reddish.
- Now add green cardamom powder and milk to the mixture. To this, depending on how sweet you want your halwa to be, add jaggery to the mixture. Mix it all well.
- Keep stirring this mixture and allow it to cook till the milk gets completely absorbed.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios and serve warm.
- You can also store it in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
Layered Carrot Cake
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3 cups of grated carrots
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ cup of butter
- 1 ½ cup of cream cheese
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- In a large mixing bowl, combine beaten eggs, oil, two cups of sugar and vanilla extract. To this, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder and pinch of salt. Mix it all well.
- Now add the grated carrots and mix again.
- Pour this mixture into a greased pan and stick it into a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow it to cool down.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the frosting, take a mixing bowl and combine butter, cream cheese, two cups of sugar. Beat this mixture till it is smooth and creamy.
- Cut the carrot cake into equal pieces. Take one piece and apply a layer of frosting on it and then top it up with another cake piece. Apply another layer of frosting on this piece and serve.
- This layered carrot cake tastes best when served chilled.
If you’re also a fan of seasonal carrots, just as much as we are, we hope you will really enjoy these recipes. To find the best quality of seasonal carrots and other everyday fruits and vegetables, use Easyday Club’s whatsapp shopping service for hassle-free grocery store home delivery of fresh ingredients and other kitchen essentials.